Interview with Gavin James
Some of you might have heard his name or rather his song – I Don’t Know Why. Gavin James is an Irish singer-songwriter. In this interview, you will get to find out more about his experience and songwriting process.
- Hi Gavin! The last 12 months must have been madness, with the release of your debut album Bitter Pill and opening for global superstars like Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith. Any particular highlights that come to mind?
It has been a lot of fun playing with those guys. Absolutely, incredible experiences! My highlight was definitely last Christmas playing in the three arenas in my hometown. It was my first headline arena show and it completely blew my mind seeing so many people in the audience!
- What was that experience like writing such an emotionally charged song like Bitter Pill?
It was a nice one to write because it was drawn from a personal experience I hadn’t really talked about before. So to put a topic like that into a song for everyone to hear was a release in itself.
- Can you share with us more about “I Don’t Know Why”, what was the inspiration behind this particular song?
Randomly enough I wrote that song after a night out with a friend. I got home at 4am and woke up with this song written with not a lot of recollection of it. I woke up with a memo of it recorded on my laptop and the lyrics written out in crayon. Which is why it’s called “I Don’t Know Why”.
- Do you have a specific song writing process or does it change from time to time?
It changes a lot. I mostly write half songs on tour and finish them when I get back home to Ireland. Sometimes the song takes 10 minutes to write and sometimes it can take weeks. The 10 minute ones are always better though.
- When did you first decide that you wanted to pursue music?
When I was about 11 I heard bob Dylan and I knew then that all I wanted to do was play and sing no matter what. I grew up busking on the streets and playing in pubs which really helped me get better and learn how to reach an audience at a live gig. I’ve never really wanted to do anything else.
- Which artist(s) do you take inspiration from?
Sam Cooke, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, all the greats really and a lot of new stuff like Childish Gambino, Frank Ocean and loads more. Also, Coldplay would be up there with my favourites.
- Who’s on your playlist right now?
Redbone – Childish Gambino
- Do you have any hidden talent that most people don’t know about?
I can quack like a duck and I can do a solid louis Armstrong impression.
Check out Gavin James – I Don’t Know Why video below or stream it here :